As an expert gambler with 28 years of experience playing casino games, I have seen many different types of games come and go.
But one game that has remained a staple in every casino is the game of Roulette.
In this 2023 OCS Roulette Guide, I will provide you with everything you need to know about playing roulette, from its history to strategies and tips to reduce your odds of loosing by avoiding high risk/reward roulette bets. .
History of Roulette
Roulette is believed to have been invented in France in the 18th century by a mathematician named Blaise Pascal. The game was originally played with a wheel that had 36 numbers on it, and a single zero. In the 19th century, the game was introduced to the United States, where a double zero was added to the wheel, making it a total of 38 numbers.
Objective of Roulette
The objective of roulette is to correctly predict where the ball will land on the spinning wheel. Players place their bets on the table, and the dealer spins the wheel in one direction and the ball in the opposite direction. The ball eventually comes to a stop in one of the numbered pockets on the wheel, and the winning bets are paid out.
How to Play Roulette
Playing roulette is easy. The first step is to exchange your cash for chips at the table. Once you have your chips, you can place them on the table in the area corresponding to the bet you want to make. There are many different types of bets in roulette, but the most common ones are:
- Straight up: betting on a single number
- Split: betting on two adjacent numbers
- Street: betting on three numbers in a row
- Corner: betting on four numbers that meet at a corner
- Six-line: betting on two adjacent rows of numbers
- Even/Odd: betting on whether the ball will land on an even or odd number
- Red/Black: betting on whether the ball will land on a red or black number
- Low/High: betting on whether the ball will land on a low (1-18) or high (19-36) number
Once all the bets have been placed, the dealer will spin the wheel and drop the ball. When the ball comes to a stop in one of the numbered pockets on the wheel, the dealer will announce the winning number and pay out the winning bets.
The rules of roulette are fairly simple. Players must place their bets before the dealer says “no more bets.” Once the ball is in motion, no more bets can be placed until the next spin. If the ball lands on the number or color that you bet on, you win. If not, you lose your bet.
One important rule to keep in mind is that each type of bet has a different payout ratio. Straight up bets have the highest payout at 35:1, while even/odd, red/black, and low/high bets have a payout ratio of 1:1.
There are many different strategies that players use when playing roulette. One popular strategy is the Martingale system, which involves doubling your bet after each loss. The idea behind this system is that you will eventually win a bet, and when you do, you will recoup all of your losses.
Fact check: In reality, this is a false strategy and can never work in the long run. First of all casinos set table limits which limits your ability to continue doubling your bet. Second, you don’t have an infinite amount of money to keep doubling your bet with as long as needed. You don’t have that much money. Nobody does. .
Another popular strategy is the Reverse Martingale system, which involves doubling your bet after each win. The idea behind this system is that you will be able to take advantage of winning streaks and minimize your losses during losing streaks.
Once again, the math doesn’t add up and the reverse martingale roulette system is also a false myth or gambler’s fallacy.
It is important to note that no strategy is foolproof, and that the game of roulette is ultimately a game of chance.
However, using a bankroll management strategy can help you manage your finances and increase your chances of walking away a winner if you’re both lucky and disciplined with your approach to gambling responsibly. .
Here are a few tips to keep in mind when playing roulette:
- Set a budget: Before you start playing, set a budget for how much money you are willing to spend. Stick to this budget and don’t spend more than you can afford to lose.
- Practice online: If you are new to the game of roulette, or if you want to try out a new strategy, practice playing online for free before risking real money at a casino.
- Look for tables with favorable rules: Some casinos offer roulette tables with more favorable rules, such as single zero wheels or “en prison” rules. Look for these tables to increase your chances of winning.
- Take breaks: It can be easy to get caught up in the excitement of the game, but taking breaks can help you stay focused and avoid making impulsive bets.
- Don’t chase losses: If you are on a losing streak, don’t try to recoup your losses by making larger bets. Stick to your strategy and don’t let emotions get in the way of smart decision-making.
Roulette Myths and Rumors
There are many myths and rumors surrounding the game of roulette. One common myth is that you can predict the outcome of the game by tracking previous spins. This is not true, as each spin is completely independent and has no bearing on the outcome of the next spin.
Another common myth is that certain numbers are “lucky” or “unlucky” in roulette. In reality, the outcome of the game is determined by chance, and there is no way to predict which number will come up next.
Online Roulette for Real Money
Playing roulette online is a great way to enjoy the game from the comfort of your own home. There are many of the best online casinos that offer roulette games, and many of them also offer the option to play for real money in 2023.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when playing online roulette for real money:
- Choose a reputable casino online: Before you start playing for real money, make sure you choose a reputable online casino. Look for a casino that is licensed and regulated, and that uses secure payment methods to protect your personal and financial information.
- Take advantage of bonuses and promotions: Many virtual casinos offer bonuses and promotions to new and existing players. Take advantage of these offers to increase your bankroll and give yourself a better chance of winning.
- Practice proper bankroll management: When playing roulette online, it is important to practice proper bankroll management. Set a budget for how much you are willing to spend, and stick to it. Don’t chase your losses or bet more than you can afford to lose.
- Look for favorable rules: Just like in brick-and-mortar casinos, some internet casinos offer roulette games with more favorable rules. Look for games with single zero wheels or “en prison” rules to increase your chances of winning.
- Play live dealer roulette: Many online casinos now offer live dealer roulette games, which offer a more realistic and immersive experience. Playing with a live dealer can also increase your confidence in the game’s fairness and ensure a more authentic gameplay experience.
In conclusion, playing online roulette for real money can be a fun and rewarding experience, as long as you take the necessary precautions to protect your personal and financial information and practice proper bankroll management. Be sure to choose a reputable internet casino, take advantage of bonuses and promotions (understand the bonus terms and conditions wagering requirements), and play with favorable rules to increase your chances of winning.
Best Roulette Apps
If you prefer to play roulette on your mobile device, there are many great apps available for both iOS and Android devices. Some of the best roulette apps include:
- Roulette Royale: This android mobile roulette app features a variety of different roulette games, including American, European, and French roulette.
- Casino Roulette: This app offers a realistic roulette experience, with great graphics and sound effects.
- Roulette – Casino Style: This app offers both American and European roulette, and allows you to play with friends and family.
My Overall Thoughts on Roulette
As someone who has been playing roulette for over 28 years, I can say that it is a fun and exciting game that offers the chance to win big. However, it is important to remember that the game is ultimately a game of chance, and that no strategy can guarantee a win.
With that said, using a strategy can help you manage your bankroll and increase your chances of winning.
Overall, roulette is a classic casino game that has stood the test of time.
Whether you are a seasoned pro or a beginner, it is a game that is easy to learn and fun to play.
So the next time you visit a casino give it a spin.